Hubert’s Island Adventure: Mouse o’ War version 1.4.0 is now live!
This one is huge. First of all, the game’s price has been permanently reduced by 50%, and now costs $4.99! Additionally, from now until later, the game’s price is reduced a further 40% to a mere $1.99! Get it while it’s hot!
Already own the game? Head over to the Updates page to learn how to update your game.
For this one, a clean install is very much required. We changed a LOT.
Customers on the various digital distributors will get access to the new version (duh), as well as the new OS versions if they are supported by the distributor. We’ve hit a slight snag setting up the new OS versions on our payment processor, but that should be resolved soon. If you bought the game that way and want access to OS X or Linux version sooner, just shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will take care of you.
The game’s been ported to Linux and OS X. The level editor has been released (caveat: it’s really rough). The source for the game and editor has been opened. Find links to download all of this, as well as the demo, here.
Other highlights include AI players for both multiplayer modes, several upgrade items that function in true Metroidvania style (find them in the world, use them to reach new places!), a shop where you can spend your candy on sweet unlocks (example: classy NPCs wear top hats), New Game Plus, so now you can replay the singleplayer adventure on an ever higher difficulty to earn more candy, and of course: tons of tweaks and fixes.
Reminder: the game is on Steam Greenlight. If you like the game and/or want to see it on Steam, please rate it on Greenlight!
I also recorded a playthrough of the game with a little developer commentary, which you can check out here.
Here’s the full changelog for 1.4.0:
– Updated compiler/libraries.
– Ported the game to Linux and OS X!
– Released the level editor for all 3 platforms.
– Open-sourced both the game and level editor.
– Added AI-controlled players for both multiplayer game modes.
– Added several new special items that grant new capabilities.
– The homing shot is now a special upgrade item that must be acquired.
– Added some secret areas to acquire the new special items.
– Added new stuff and areas to take advantage of the new special items.
– Added New Game Plus to SP Adventure. Every time you beat the game (beat all bosses and then Lighthouse), it gets harder and candy is worth more points.
– Added unlockable “toys” that can be purchased for candy.
– Difficulty was rebalanced, and now affects more things.
– The effect of difficulty on NPC counts was redone.
– Stunned NPCs now fade out after a while in both game modes. Can be turned off.
– Can no longer have MP players in SP modes.
– Friendly NPCs no longer die when the level ends.
– Sally now follows the player.
– You can no longer jump when Looking with a J-Balloon.
– Players should no longer ever get stuck in the ground at the bottom of slopes.
– You can no longer uncrouch when a solid tile is above you.
– Increased the camera’s maximum vertical speed.
– NPC shots can no longer spawn inside solid tiles.
– Lowered the homing range for the player’s homing shot.
– The player’s homing shot now ignores targets that are friendly or behind solid tiles.
– Changed the main font to be more readable.
– Fixed the ammo box HUD icon looking weird.
– Rebalanced score/candy amounts
– The achievement sound no longer plays when a special item is collected.
– Added lava to the top of the volcano. Yikes!
– Improved the experience of the first level. Added signs, removed some enemies.
– Added signs to other levels explaining some things.
– Made bananas a little easier to see.
– Collectibles that you haven’t gotten yet now show up on the map.
– Added a few new water music tracks that were needed due to new swimmable areas.
– NPCs are no longer capable of walking on water.
– NPC shots hitting levers no longer adds to the “Levers Shot” stat.
– Sound effect volumes fall off more quickly with distance.
– Fireworks are now affected by pausing the game.
– Players 2-4 default controls changed.
– Players other than Player 1 can now properly grab special items.
– If all human players are dead in multiplayer, Player 1 can press shoot to kill all the bots.
– Multiplayer setup info is now persistent.
– Switching to Hubert no longer resets special item states.
– Can no longer begin climbing while looking.
– The “toggle various windows” keys can no longer override the buttons on the Sound Test screen.
– Some minor level tweaks.
– Fixed the Buy Game link in the demo version.